Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The night is young

Sunday was a long, long day but a beautiful way to fall in love with Cusco. Kim and I got up early to make the 45 minute walk to town. Yes, it's now only 45 minutes now that she's holding the map.The cathedral   was beautiful. I loved listening to the sermon, mainly because I have only been speaking English since I got here, so it was reassuring that I knew what he was saying when he said I was going to hell for not eating and drinking Jesus. That's what I heard anyway... Hmm maybe taking some Spanish classes wouldn't be the worst idea. No, no, I'm sure that's what he said. Meh, we were in a beautiful cathedral.  He could have been talking about the history of potatoes and it still would have been cool. My second favorite part was when we got to share the peace. No one even acknowledged the fact that we were the only white girls taking up space in the pews. They shook our hands and smiled like we belonged even though I was a good foot taller than everyone else and had a giant bag filled with tourist gear.

After church, we got breakfast in a balcony above the center. It was perfect because we got to watch the parade (apparently there are always parades and celebrations even though people aren't even entirely sure what they are celebrating) from above. Breakfast consisted of quinoa apple juice and quinoa tortillas. So I retract my previous statement. They either put quinoa or French fries in everything. Jackpot!

After breakfast, we went on a little adventure to buy our tickets for everything. Get excited for future posts about lake titicaca, a Machu Picchu trek, and white water rafting! We somehow managed to spend 2 hours at this travel place. Apparently we were full of questions. I recall Kim even asking the poor guy behind the desk to google image a city.  As luck would have it, we ran into two of the 4 people we knew at the time. Then we proceeded to follow them around for the rest of the day. Awesome guys, and as luck would have it, one of them is from Phoenix and has promised to teach me how to two-step at Toby's.  And I'm holding him too it dang it! I own far too many cowboy boots not to know how to properly two-step, which I miss a lot. Hiking boots just aren't a particularly good look when they are in size 10... Okay maybe no shows look good in giant sizes...

After following the poor boys to lunch, we went to a discussion at a coffee shop. It was a bunch of "travelers," so imagine bearded men, hiking boots, and lots of beads, gathered in cozy room debating the impact tourism has on culture. In true hippy form, the conversation continually digressed to happiness. Ah how I wish I were a hippy.

The hippy chat was promptly followed by dinner, and there were French fries!

We also hit the town for our first time. We started our adventure at Paddy's at an Irish pub where all the gringos hang out. I got incredibly drunk, incredibly fast. I blame the altitude though, or maybe the  line "When in Cusco," or perhaps it was the raw eggs in my drink, or or or maybe it was because we took whiskey shots! It also turns out in cusco you don't have to buy drinks. They just give you cards for free ones. The free drinks are rum and coke, which is a beautiful thing...Jackpot! I showed my new partners in crime my stellar dance moves, and guess what...they still talk to me!




2 comments:

  1. The raw eggs!!! You drank it! Yuck!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah and I spent last night sick...raw eggs? Llama?

    ReplyDelete