Friday, June 14, 2013

Estoy enferma but oh so happy

I finally got to use the communication boards with those brilliant girls I was telling you about. As suspected, they rocked. Ruthie, one of the girls I keep talking about with the beautiful smile was able to identify every picture I named, make requests and answer questions on her first try. She was brilliant.  I also taught her how to sign "bathroom." It looked nothing like the ASL sign, but I recognized it 5 minutes later when she raised her arm into the air independently. Like I said before, she's brilliant. Sure enough, she had to go to the bathroom, and instead of wetting her pants for the 3rd time that day, she was able to tell me. Again, brilliant.

The new communication device also meant that the two girls I was working with had a new place in their hearts for me. I really didn't do much, but I suppose they are just ecstatic to have someone willing to take the time to listen to them. Trust me, I'm more than happy to listen because they are hilarious.

At lunch, there were a pile of missionaries there to help us out with feeding. I tried not to play favorites and went to work with another girl. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't pick one who was a quick eater. Two minutes later, one of the missionaries was tapping me on the shoulder to tell me that Zoila (the other girl I keep talking about with the killer smile) wanted my attention. She smiled at me and then put her head down so the missionary couldn't feed her.  This happened for a good 15 minutes. Eventually, the missionary had given up, and I had to take over. Talk about reinforcing negative behaviors. Oh well, I was flattered, and let's be honest. How often do these kids actually get what they want? Maybe 2-5 minutes a day if they are lucky. So hey, if what she wanted was to giggle at me and dance in her chair while she ate lunch, I was going to give it to her, dang it.

Ruthie was sitting next to us at lunch. She kept sliding out of her chair and afterward would look at me with her, "I need help eyes," which either led to me or one of the missionaries lifting her back up. I couldn't figure out why she kept sliding. I just assumed it was because I did a terrible job of strapping her in her chair. However, a couple minutes later she caught my attention and used her eyes to gesture to her right. For the life of me, I could not figure out what she could possibly want. There was a poster of a baby and a closet. She was persistent though and kept gesturing over there. Finally, it hit me! One of the missionaries was a relatively young, decently good looking man. I asked, "Ese hombre es tu novio?!" She laughed and laughed shaking her head, "Yes!" Of course! She had a crush and wanted to tell me!

One of the other missionaries commented on how much she must adore me. He pointed out that she watched my every movement, and anytime I looked her direction, she smiled.  I really don't think that I did anything too amazing for these girls. I drew them some pictures, and I listened to what they had to say. As I have said in at least 3 blog posts before, their smiles make all of this worth it. And if my silly drawings help someone else down the road listen to what they have to say, then this trip was all worth it.

I was really sick this morning with a cold, but honestly, I didn't even notice when I was working with the kids.

I came home early, though, to shower and nap before our excursion tonight, hoping to feel a little better before the adventures begin. I couldn't nap because my room was under construction. I tried o shower, but there was no hot water, and every time I put my hand under the stream of water I got electrocuted. And honestly, I don't even care. Today was awesome!

We are heading to Lake Titicaca (yes, pronounced just how it sounds). We won't get back until Monday morning, so hopefully I will have some good stories to tell next week!

4 comments:

  1. So touching! What a great story and experience.
    -Rhette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Have so much fun at Lake Titcaca. Enjoy the floating houses!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And apparently "dontbesassy" is my name on google. How embarrassing. This is Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing! I'm so happy to hear all the things you are doing for these girls. And how you touched their lives!!

    ReplyDelete