None of the children at the orphanage can speak, but I knew that some of them could understand what I was saying even with my gringa accent. I was amazed by one of the girls today who was able to use her knuckle to point to every body part I named on a bear. She fed off my excitement and played along as I had her show all the volunteers over and over again. I am so excited to find, or I guess make if I have to, picture cards to see what these girls can do! I started teaching some of the other kids some basic sign. However, like so many of my students, they were stubborn, and of course the orphanage doesn't have any cheese balls for me to work with. Kids will do anything for cheese balls. They are a speech therapist's dream come true.
Later on, I went hiking with my tandem partner. Her friend took us to the top of the city, where we could look down on all of the action. We were surrounded by ancient ruins and llamas...quite the sight. I swear pictures will come eventually. I definitely got my fair share of Spanish this afternoon. I learned four new words but have already forgotten every single one. I think the altitude must have a negative impact on memory and probably cognition in general because I've felt like una idiota all day,
The roommates and I spent the evening shopping. I officially have more apparel with llama print than anyone should own...ever.
We are getting up early for some whitewater rafting. If we don't freeze our booties off, you can expect a recap tomorrow night.
No comments:
Post a Comment