Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bathtubs, goldfish, and leopard-print pillows

I have been part of this tandem program through my volunteer organization.  It's sort of like awkward online dating, in that we sit together for two hours a day trying to come up with silly conversation topics when we really have very little in common and realistically aren't all that interested in what the other person has to say. She's a sweet girl, but we are complete opposites. She's really quiet. I'm obnoxiously loud. She is kind. I am remarkably opinionated, considering I have to take the time to translate all of my thoughts. Tomorrow we are going hiking,

I volunteered today at the after school club. I was warned that it was in the "ghetto," but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I'd estimate that we passed at least 230 rabid dogs on our adventure up the hill. Okay, I'm exaggerating but at least 43 stray dogs, and I'm pretty sure that at least one of them was infected with something dangerous. Anyway, with Vanessa's help, I rode the bus without getting pick pocketed, walked through the barrio, and scooted passed those scary beasts called puppies.  The program was neat, but I definitely was not as needed as I feel at the orphanage. By the end of the day, most of the kids were making fun of me, which I am going to go ahead a pretend is just their way of saying I was amazing...and had nothing to do with the fact that my Spanish is not all that great and I say dorky things like, " Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay!"

We took a cab back to the house and scarfed down our dinner only to turn around and go to dinner two.  Dinner two was amazing for several reasons: 1. There is a great group of girls staying in the volunteer house with me, and they are lovely company. 2. I ate red meat for the first time since my arrival. Actually, it was only my second encounter with meat...the first being the poor, baby alpaca. 3. The restaurant had bathtubs filled with goldfish for tables. 4. Instead of chairs, we sat on a bed topped with leopard-print pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment