All of my up-coming adventures mean that I only have 3 more days volunteering at the orphanage, maybe 5 if I can sweet-talk the volunteer organization. I miss the kids already, and I haven't even left yet!
The girls were awesome again today. They used the boards to request with the volunteers. How cool to finally get to make choices! Sure, they are silly, little choices like if they want to play with a car or a doll, but they are their choices nonetheless. And people are finally able to listen to them.
I feel like I have such a connection with Ruth. If my roommate would let me bring her home (Trevor!) and if I didn't have heeps of school-loan debt (Mom! Dad!), I think I would honestly consider bringing her home. Unfortunately, I don't think that the kids at this orphanage are even up for adoption. It seems that the sisters have custody and aren't willing to give it up, which is heartwarming and incredibly sad all at once. I'm happy that they have a constant family but still have a terribly hard time wrapping my head around things like force feeding and tying kids to beds.
Bottom line, I'm probably coming home solo, but there is just something about that girl. I don't know how she does it, but she can tell me stories just with her eyes. Today she communicated so much without saying a word. She loves her communication device, but surprisingly, when I work with her we don't even need to use it.
Another onevofvthe boys today, brought his flashkight over to me, put it in my hands, and made the cutest attempt to sign. It looked nothing like "help," but I loved that he knew he was supposed to do something with his hands.
We have a lot of work to do in 3 days. I better get moving!
Bring Ruth home, JaKelly will help raise her!
ReplyDelete;-)
Enjoyed reading about your adventures and how a simple idea can have such a profound affect.
Peace & Love my hippie friend!!