So I have tons to say about Machu Picchu. In fact, I blogged for a good 53 minutes this morning. However, I am having technical difficulties and can't finish the post. I think I need a real computer to fix things, so you are just going to have to wait. The entire trek was absolutely wonderful though. And I didn't freeze to death, and, and my hip doesn't actually hurt too bad at all. I'm hopeful that I'm cured.
Yesterday after volunteering Vanessa and I took our host mom to town for pedicures. As we were walking into a nail place, I realized that we hadn't bartered. However, because it was a present for our mom, I didn't want to barter in front of her, so I just accepted the fact that we were getting completely ripped off. I figured it was still relatively cheap, and I desperately needed someone else to clean my feet after 4 days of trekking.
The women led us into a room filled with curtains and foam beds. We were quickly shushed because apparently this was the same room that they used to do massages, hence the foam pad beds. The woman brought us her kaboodle and told us to pick a color from what appeared to be her personal collection. So we got pedicures in little buckets of water with hand soap from the bathroom and what appeared to be the Peruvian equivalent of Walmart-brand lotion. I tried really hard to relax and make the whole thing n enjoyable experience for our mom. So we laid back on the foam pads, hoping for a little relaxation. On cue, as I close my eyes, one of the women walked into our sanctuary with a baby. I didn't think too much of it because babies here don't really cry, but then once again on cue as I closed my eyes, that little bundle of joy stared whaling.
Bah! Our day at the spa with our host mom was a bust, so we decided to try to make up for it by taking her out for a drink. Well, one drink led to five. And after five, she was begging to stay out. I don't blame her. She has approximately 15 strangers living in her house at any given moment. So we drank. It turns out the altitude affects her too...maybe even more than it affects me.
The altitude caused us to call it a night early, so I got up early this morning to wrap things up for all of my orphanage projects. Today was supposed to be my last day at the orphanage because I'm headed to the amazon in a couple of hours followed by Colca Canyon. However, I'm not sure that I want to be done. So after lunch today, I gave semi-goodbyes, knowing dang well that I will be back.
The kids were adorable today. Zoila requested music using her picture boards, so as we walked from one side of the room to the other during my shady version of physical therapy, we stopped periodically for dance-party breaks. She bounced up and den as I held into her arms. Some of the other kiddos crowded around us, joining in on our little party.
Lucho (I'm not sure if I've written about him, but he's probably the most adorable kid I've ever seen. He has a diagnosis of autism, probably because he's a headbanger, but is the world's biggest lover nd cuddler.) brought me his favorite toy and spontaneously signed "more" to ask me to turn it on. It wasnt exactly what we practiced, but it was the first time I saw him communicate in a way other than screaming or pointing, so I'll take it!
Alright, time for the jungle!
No comments:
Post a Comment